Damilola Olakanmi: Tributes paid to ‘kind, sweet’ student who died ‘after eating cannabis gummie’
The 23-year-old law undergraduate had bought the gummies via a messaging app and fell ill immediately after taking them
Tributes have been paid to a “kind and promising” law student who died after consuming a suspected cannabis sweet in east London.
Damilola Grace Olakanmi, 23, bought the “gummies” via a messaging app on her phone and they were delivered to her home.
Ms Olakanmi and a 21-year-old friend immediately fell ill at the mid-terraced house in South Park Drive, llford at 11.30pm on Tuesday, March 29.
Both ate the sweets which came in packaging branded with “Trrlli Peachie O’s”.
University of Hertfordshire business law undergraduate Ms Olakanmi was taken by air ambulance to Queen’s Hospital, Romford in a critical condition.
Her mother Wumi, 51, a churchgoer, kept a vigil by her bedside until she lost her fight for life on Saturday.
Doctors later discharged Ms Olakanmi’s friend, a US student visiting the UK, from hospital.
Justice campaigner and relative Richard Taylor, 75, consoled the student’s distraught mother on Sunday.
He told the Standard: “Wumi has lost her only child – she has nothing now.
“They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.
“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.